Monday, September 15, 2008

We're Not In Kansas Anymore

How is it that there are some people in your life that you see everyday but never have a connection with? But then there are the people that you rarely see but when you meet up years later, there is no need to catch up, the second you see each other - you are already caught up.

This last weekend was one of the best trips I've taken that I can remember. My cousin, whom I re-started this blog because of, had moved and started a family and we had not seen each other in probably about 7 years (not just seen, even spoken). Because of the network site that so many people love to hate (facebook), we were re-united. With our recent interactions, my cousin, Brenda, and I concocted a plan to drive to Kansas and bring back the family reunions that we loved so much as children. Luckily, despite the short notice, the trip worked out.

If you ask me what we did last weekend, I couldn't really say. We went for walks and took 3 nights to watch 1 movie. I was introduced to a wine that I actually like and probably gained 50 pounds from the great food. But that's all I can really recall. We visited about EVERYTHING and it was so comfortable, more like sisters than cousins or friends. The time just flew without it feeling like time was passing by. By Saturday night I was wondering where Thursday and Friday went - and sure did not want Sunday to come. We just knew each other and didn't need to play catch up of the last 7 years. And of course, there was plenty of play time with baby (not so baby anymore, but it was my first time meeting her - who is now 3) Maia!!!


Something I feel that made this weekend extra special, is my awesome road trip buddy (Brenda) who will be moving further away to Hawaii. She is joining the Navy so I am SO glad that we were able to make this trip work. While Rob is off to war, Sarah had the time to play and gather with family that hadn't been seen in a long time. And hopefully we offered her some comfort while he is away. We look forward to another visit where we can get to know him, since the only time we really met him was when he was 18 and at his wedding =) Brenda was also able to reunite and revive a family tie before leaving. Now, she can plan on having lots of visitors in Hawaii because I have a feeling that will be our new travel destination.



What was most humorous about our trip? I wonder if there has ever been a study to see if OCD is genetic. Through our conversations and observing our interactions we found so many similarities in our odd behaviors that people often make fun of us for. Sarah can't wait for Rob to see us together so he can really harass the OCD in all of us. Poor little Maia, she already has hints of it also. Notice the block castle and how all the blocks are facing the same way...that was her doing. If we didn't she'd let us know that the block was facing the wrong way. Between how we have to load a dishwasher, clean, eat our skittles, etc. there would have been plenty for onlookers to have a good laugh at.

I learned a lot as well:
  • Parenting is nowhere near easy but patience and consistence can teach your child values and morals you would hope they would have, even at a young age
  • As hard as it can be, time and distance cannot break love, families or relationships
  • Family members can be your best friend
  • Nothing can replace a good laugh with good friends over a glass of good wine

Thank you Sarah and Brenda for a great time and being part of my amazing family!

2 comments:

sarahbellum said...

I just logged into Blogger to write about our most excellent and joyous time together and saw that you recently posted to this blog. You 'beat me to the punch' as they say but I don't think I could have put it any more eloquently or perfectly. This post made me cry and it made me laugh. -- I had to share it with Rob. Thank you, Beth (and Brenda) for instigating an INCREDIBLY great weekend!
with much love and many hugs -- S

Anonymous said...

Beth- I'm so very happy to hear about the time you shared. Consider the open invite to our home heartily endorsed by me. Let me know if you ever need some over-the-phone or over-the-internet teasing about your compulsion. I believe it helps to keep things in perspective. :D Looking forward to seeing you again.