Who am I
How can I say
There's too much to me
To put it one way
Of course I'm the usual
Short, blonde and small
But who's to say to someone,
I may be really tall?
But in reality, I like to think
I have a lot going on
Hold on to your horses
The list may get long
To start at the beginning
I am the youngest one
There is me and my parents
Who also have a son
I was an active child
Always swimming at the pool
From May until September
While we didn't have school
My momma was the patient one
Loving us just right
My daddy always wrestling
And looking for a "fight"
That combination made me
Who I am today
Both caring yet rowdy
Are traits that have stayed
Born in the country but
Moved to the town
I am a tom boy to the soul
Never wanting a prom gown
When it came to college
I didn't know what to do
Too many interests to
Narrow down to one or two
First Northwestern, then USD
For a total of 3 years
I settled on 2 degrees
Instead of all the beer
Social Work is challenging
American Indian Studies is fun
I just need to find a way
To combine them into one
McCrossans was my first
Work experience for life
The boys taught me a lot
But also caused much strife
Next came the veterans
At the VA
I started out an intern
With very little pay
Now I have been hired on
As full-time staff
This seems to be a good way
For my life's path
Work can be challenging
But I still make life fun
I always seem on the go
Always on the run
If I'm not at the gym,
Church or with friends
You can find me at home
Or outside is the latest trend
Things that I enjoy most
Are little things in life
Each day I get older
And I'm still not a wife
That is sure okay with me
I can stand on my own
I'm a country girl to the core
And independence I have shown
Swimsuits, bowling shoes and rollerblades
Make my closet very full
Staying active makes me happy
And that's the real goal
I am who I am, and
That's all I can be
I thank God, friends and family
For allowing me to be me!
1 comment:
Loved this autobiographical (is that even a word?) poem, Beth -- not too long at all!
Post a Comment