Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family Poem

Crabtree Family

Many people have asked
What is a crab tree?
All I have for a reply
Is it’s my family

This is something real important
At least it is to me
Come meet my relatives
Then you will see

Grandma and Grandpa
Live in Pierre
I hope and try to see them
At least once a year

Grandma is a short one
From her we got our height
But also the best cook
With love in every bite

Grandpa is a veteran
From World War II
Now playing cards and cribbage
Is what he loves to do

They had seven children
Who are scattered all around
Though distance keeps us apart
Their love keeps them bound

First is Uncle Chuck
Who was in the Navy
He and wife, Pam are Okies
With son, Paul, in their family

Aunt Deni lives in Rapid
She has three great kids
Sarah, Matt and Tim
They go on dinosaur digs

Then came Uncle David
He married a Kelli
Their children Chloe, Sam
And Collista are twigs on the tree

Uncle Lee had 3 children
With Brenda and Dale in the military
Amanda’s engaged to Tyler
And Aunt Brenda remarried

Glen is the next one
Working with trees for life
He has two children, Ben and Beth
And there is Cindy, his wife

Lyle has found his way to Pierre
Where he enjoys crafts
You know his daughter, Brandy
By their similar laughs

Uncle Ross is the last one
He is far from small
His wife is Joan, and daughter
Adelyn is also very tall

Matt, Sarah, Ben and Brandy
Have families of their own
Their spouses and children have
Helped our tree grow

As time passes with
The seeds that we sow
Our tree is getting bigger
And our family does grow

With marriages and deaths
Our names may change, you see
But that is something in your soul
You’ll always be a Crabtree!


This is my newest creation. I'm not completely sold on all the sections, so if you have any thoughts or ideas, I'm completely open. I'm planning to give this to Grandma and Grandpa either next time I see them or next year for their 60th anniversary, so we'll see.

1 comment:

sarahbellum said...

Love it, Beth! :) The section on Ross, Joan and Adelyn made me laugh pretty hard. :)) I think Grandma and Grandpa will really treasure your work.