Saturday, August 29, 2009

Give it a Try

Well, the results are in folks.

Basically I have gotten diagnosed with a condition that seems to be defaulted when everything else has been cleared. My heart is structurally doing everything it needs to be doing. The circulation is working as it should. And my oxygen levels are where they should be. What does that tell me? I must be crazy.

However, good ole Doc told me that there is a diagnosis for this. It's call Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. Sinus Tachycardia is where your heart rate increases with exercise or exertion. Huh, every one's does that (unless you are dead I suppose) so I find it interesting that there is actually a medical "diagnosis" for it. However, with mine being labeled as inappropriate, it means that my heart rate increases more than it needs to or it should. This seems to be due to an unknown cause but can be exacerbated by some foods and stress and stuff like that. As it came without a cause, it is supposed to go away on its own - which could take anywhere from months to years.

While every doctor seems to just want to give medication without a exact reason, my doc has been pretty good and understanding that I need a good reason to take the meds, or it just won't be happening. Maybe the other docs had reasons to push this new med on me, but hey, I want to be educated on it first...no education, no go. Apparently there is another medication, in a different family than my sloth-creation meds that is supposed to do what my first one didn't do. It's supposed to balance out my heart rate. The first medication - my body didn't respond to and just made me super tired. This new medication is supposed to not lower my heart rate overall but just keep it from getting into the 180s and 190s. If it works that'd be great. I also am ok with the fact that I won't have to be on it forever because this "condition" is supposed to go away as mysteriously as it came....and with that, it is day 1 of my trial medication...

1 comment:

Jess said...

I am excited to see how it works for you! And glad you don't have to get a baboon heart transplant.