Monday, August 17, 2009

Hopefully the last...

First, lets take a quick look at a normal doctors office...

Ok, now today, I went into a doctors office behind a locked door. It literally required a number code to get into. Ah, ok...not nervous at all. Let me start from the beginning. A week or so ago, I posted a blog about wearing the heart monitor for 24 hours. Well, the results came back basically normal, nothing to be concerned about. As my doctor and I discussed, based on the results of the heart monitor, we would look into a Tilt Table Test as a last option of what may be going on with my high heart rate and weird symptoms. Since it seems like all of the possible heart conditions have been ruled out, today I had my Tilt Table Test. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen, been a part of and really know about...I mean, after all, it was in a secured room...

What they do is monitor my heart rate and blood pressure throughout the whole thing. It was interesting at first, but got really boring really fast as I was basically just standing for a full hour. I had to lay completely flat for at least a half hour to make sure that they knew my base heart rate (55). Then they tilted the table (so I would be close to completely standing) to a 70 degree angle in a quick fluid motion. I stayed like that for an hour. The first 45 min were "natural." At the 45 minute mark they sprayed Nitroglycerin in my mouth to stimulate what may happen when I'm working out to see if I got more of a response with my heart rate...which I did - not to the 180s or 90s, but 130s still. Once the hour of "standing" there was over, the lowered me back down and made me lay there until my heart rate went back to resting. While I was laying there they also gave me an IV drip to hopefully help with the massive migraine I got during the "procedure."
(My nurse liked me asking her to take the pic of me strapped in the bed...I think it was the first time anyone has asked her to do such a thing...but it's hard to explain...if I hadn't been there, I'da thought it was some sort of torture bed...)
I don't have any results now, but they said I should have an idea by the end of the week. But if I do have something that this test would show and it was severe, I would have passed out during the test...which I didn't, so that's a good sign. Either way, I was very worn out after the test and still have hints of the migraine looming...I'm off to bed.

No comments: