Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Alone At War

I've got my gun
I've got my gear
From my face I try
To hide my fear

They sent me to
A place unknown
So different from
Where I've grown

They tell me
I have what I need
Enough to get by
And so we can succeed

While my gun has become
A friend of mine
I treasure the memories
That seem caught in time

The I love you's I hear
Their hugs I still feel
Even though we said goodbye
Until now it didn't feel real

When I get a moment
I sit and hope
If I don't make it back
Ok they'll cope

But every night
I think and pray
How it will be
My homecoming day

To see my family and friends
That I've missed
To see my love
And feel her kiss

Each morning the sun
Rises in the sky
We are told our mission
And don't ask why

In the back of my mind
I put my thoughts
Just as if
Locked in a box

It's so hard for me
To think of home
Because then I realize
That I'm alone

-e.crabtree

No comments: