They tell me I'm ready
And it's time for me to go
But I question myself
As I just don't know
They give us our duty
We tie up our boots
We all look the same
In our ACUs
I check our map
Re-clean my gun
And try to hide my eyes
From the glaring sun
Staying alert
As we ride in the truck
Pray we all get through this mission
With any luck
Back home life is different
I'm just treated like a kid
There no one will believe
Here the things that I did
And here I'm all grown
Split decisions I make
With the lives of my unit
Responsibility I take
That weight can get heavy
And the burden much
But the benefits of our task
It doesn't begin to touch
So I wake up in the morning
Put on the same clothes
Often my face is still dirty
When to bed I go
I can't help but think
How different life would be
If I hadn't signed the papers, but
The military has become part of me
If I could take it back
I wouldn't want to
It was my decision
And this is what I do
I wear my name with pride
On the right side of my chest
And when I go to work
For my country I dress
I hear shots get fired
Bombs exploding in the air
For me and my troops safety
I say a quick prayer
It's no longer about the money
I don't do it for me
It started with my family
And to protect their safety
My eyes have been opened
And now I feel and see
That I'm here for a purpose
And the belief to be free
-e. crabtree
No comments:
Post a Comment