Sunday, December 2, 2012

Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner

Or should I say: Nobody puts Beth in a bunker - to play off of the famous Dirty Dancing quote - which we've come to use quite frequently here - for various reasons - with mine being the most frequent while visiting soldiers out of my regular office (obviously!). 

I gotta say, all the way through college, grad school and my years at the VA, I never really imagined that I'd provide social work/therapy services out of a bunker...but that's exactly where I found myself.  It wasn't so bad - more private than the aid station was - but then it got dark and cold(er)...I drew the line when I could no longer see the face of my patient =)

Either way, I've now been told that I'm officially a combat social worker, and yup, we find ourselves doing therapy in non-traditional settings.  Not always ideal, but I always seem to make it enjoyable.  And after all, the the soldiers loved it - they could smoke or spit without any concern or hesitation.  Yay me.

No comments: