Monday, December 24, 2012

Traditions


Not from my service, found it online.  I contemplated taking a pic
tonight, but didn't want to give up my favorite moment of the year.

It's funny how I can be halfway around the world, sitting next to people I just met 7 weeks ago (or less) and surrounded by complete strangers - but yet feel so close to family and my roots.  Even though I took part in my Christmas Eve service half a day (duh, I'm halfway around the world) before most people I know, it made me feel the closest to home that I have since being  here in Affy.

Luckily, one of the church services here consisted of a candlelight service, so a group of us loaded up in a truck and took the trek there.  It was a wonderful service, with a couple oddities.  1) I don't know if I'll ever be able to attend a church service again without a pistol hanging from my hip - even for Christmas 2) the special music consisted of a 1LT playing the bagpipe.  I've never seen a bagpipe played up close (or in a closed building) - they are VERY loud and there is NO way to look attractive while playing a bagpipe.  But the music was special none-the-less.

My favorite part of any church service, however, is the candle light portion of a Christmas Eve service.  It's always the same - led into with lots of wonderful Christmas carols/hymns, the reading of the Christmas story and baby Jesus being born - then the lighting of the candles followed by the singing of Silent Night.  It doesn't matter what country I'm in or who I'm with, it brings me back home and reminds me of who and what I am.

While I'm not with family this Christmas, I am blessed that I'm able to communicate with them and that I'm safe and healthy.  Please pray for all the troops this holiday season, that we all can experience love, peace, support and purpose; even in being away from our loved ones =)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: