Monday, February 17, 2014
Eenie Meenie Minie Mo
You know it's a good day when the toughest decision of the day is what suit to wear. And no, I don't mean a dress suit. Thank goodness I don't have to wear that...my camo is just fine. Yes, I mean swim suit. I used to live in these and putting them on almost feels like a second skin. I just love the smell of the chlorine that the fabric holds - it takes me back.
One of the biggest perks I've found here at Ft. Bragg is the pool hours. It was nearly impossible to get to the pool even semi-regularly when I was at Ft. Riley. The hours here are much more manageable - including weekends and holidays, it's amazing!
Before leaving for Ft. Polk, I officially became a certified lifeguard (AGAIN). I'm not really sure why, but I always regretted letting my certification lapse, so I took advantage of the opportunity. Now I should get out of the Army and go be a full-time, lifer lifeguard on the beaches of San Diego. Oh man, tan and sun-bleach blonde year round... : )
Since returning from JRTC, I've been working out a schedule of when I can regularly get my swim on. Something that's helping spark the motivation (to drive to post on weekends - ugh, or to get up at 0430 - double ugh) is there is a fun swim challenge post is putting on. You have to swim the distance of the North Carolina section of the Appalachian Trail by June 2nd. That's 3,438 laps, or 95.5 miles! That's right, I'm putting it on here so I'm declaring to the world that I'm doing it. The challenge started in January and then I couldn't get to post with the recent snow "storms" so I'm a little behind the curve, however, with the amount of laps I got in since getting home, I need to do 30 laps a day (just under a mile) to complete it by the June deadline. Part of me is worried about it, but if I swim a minimum of a mile at a time, I'll have some laps to spare for when I'm not able to make it to the pool.
Even when I'm so tired and don't want to go, it's been great. One of the awesome bonuses of the pool here is right in the hallway by the door is a sauna. I haven't really indulged myself in the use of saunas before - but man oh man it's glorious. Here are the benefits I've found to use the sauna after swimming:
1. Because I'm already wet from swimming, no one can see how sweaty I got when I walk back to the locker room
2. It allows some time for my goggle rings/bruises to somewhat disappear
3. It's a faux nap. I love the heat and warmth. It's a great way to catch my breath, rest and relax. I could fall asleep in there (although I won't) but I like to think of it as a nap before going to work in the morning or having to take on the half hour drive back home.
4. And it's always nice to talk to a nice looking man that may be getting his sweat on too ; )
Well, I have this challenge to complete so that's motivating, but I'm also announcing it the world - so now I HAVE to be held accountable! I already swam today, but I'm gonna pack soon for tomorrow morning. Gotta get my swim on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment